Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Icefishing with Keats

I spent Saturday icefishing with John Keats.
Here is what he said...

"She dwells with Beauty-Beauty that must die;
And Joy, whose hand is ever at his lips
Bidding adieu; and aching Pleasure nigh,
Turning to poison while the bee-mouth sips:
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veiled Melancholy has her sovran shrine,
Though seen of none save him whose strenuous
tongue
Can burst Joy's grape against his palate fine:
His soul shall taste the sadness of her might,
And be among her cloudy trophies hung.
-John Keats- 3rd stanza of "ODE ON MELANCHOLY"


The image of a trophy room full of people hanging on the wall was not lost to this hunter. I am resolved to make melancholy breathless in the chase, and ultimately leave her skunked.

2 comments:

theDING said...

You scallywag!

You never out and out told me that you had a blog...
I put two and two together today when you were talking about how much you enjoy reading other people's blogs.

It was then that I realized that it must be true.

From my limited pale of experience, there are only three types of people that relgiously read blogs: reporters, political junkies and people who write blogs.

I actually stumbled upon your site as a result of perusing the links that are on doxasky's weblinks section. I said to myself "Is this the same Scott that I know?" and the answer is "Yup".

I hereby recognize you as a member of the blogging community of FGBC. (Kind of like the U.N. acknowledging the land claims of Israel.)

Welcome to the party!

rachel elizabeth said...

so your captain kirk pauses on "ding's" comments - ya I pretty much laughed extremely hard...lol.

kept up the bloggin' thoughts! Catch you around the college!