Wednesday, December 06, 2006

dogs and glass ceilings

Assumptions can be our friends and other times they can be the dogs that chase us through the woods into an untimely and gruesome death. They help us attain levels of great performance, or they pin us to the wall with fear that we will never meet the expectations. Yet most times we are unaware of the assumptions that manipulate our lives. We just continue on chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow because we assume that 1) there is gold there, 2) we can reach the end of the rainbow, and 3) the gold will make me happy.

The assumptions that I am thinking about today are the assumptions that what I am now is all I can ever be. That nothing of any consequence can ever come from small town Saskatchewan. That good enough is good enough.

But imagine if Jesus came walking into our town today with his twelve disciples in tow. If he sat in front of the water tower and called us to a higher way of living, would it make a difference? I wonder if there would be any sort of change to the way that we do our lives. I wonder if he said to me, “drop your pen and follow me” would many of my assumption change.

What would really make a difference to me is if he said that he knows what I am capable of and he believes in my abilities. That would be a big one. It would rock my worldview.

If you knew what God thought about your abilities, would he be optimistic? I think he would. And that can change all your assumptions for the better.

You can be so much more than what the assumptions around you say. Yet you do not have to be guilty for missing the mark because there is forgiveness.

2 comments:

rachel elizabeth said...

Scott...
so glad to see you posting again, thought i'd lost ya there.

you are missed. Blessings on ya.

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott, thanks for the post. You have challenged me in how I think. Blessings, see you in January!!!!