Friday, June 02, 2006

Our gift to the world

Who gives this woman to be married?

I am not ready for that question yet. Of course, my daughter is not even two, but when that day comes I don’t know what I am going to say. “Her mother and I” is the right answer, but I might just say… “I changed my mind” or “When you get a better job” or maybe “Work for me for seven years and then you can marry her.”

Sending kids off can be an anxious season for parents. Every year we see it here when Mom helps her baby(strikethrough- sorry Ryan, I couldn’t figure out how to do strikethrough so I just italicised it. Can you do that?) young man move into the dorms. Will he be OK? Will he be able to sleep here? Will the college realize how great this guy really is?

After investing for 18 years, there is a lot of love, sweat, and fears going into this student.

We feel something like that at graduation. When the students who have been with us for four years cross the floor, there is so much pride and joy. There is also a bit of dread. Will they make it? Will they be accepted? Will their potential be realized?

This year I especially felt that with this graduating class. They are brimming with talent and potential. They have great attitudes, and sincere hearts. They are experienced enough to be helpful, but wise enough to go into life as learners.

After thriving at FGBC for four years they develop the habits of a high performance Christian community. They have become dear friends and they will desire that Body of Christ experience for the remainder of their lives. This group has the potential to bring that ethos into the environments that they are going into. They will be change agents.

So I am both excited and nervous. I feel like we, the staff and faculty, are sending this group to the world as our present. Here is our gift. We are so proud of them, and we will be their biggest fans. Of course, we cannot take full credit. We can barely take partial credit behind God and parents. But we cannot help feeling that they are ours.

Please treat them well. Please give them opportunities. Please welcome, protect, and love them. You will discover that they are smart, loving, energetic, with a lot to offer.

“Who gives these students…?”

4 comments:

Greg Roberts said...

Scott lovd this post. I relaized just yesterday that FGBC has such a good thing going, so much so it will break my heart to leave. But it's in embracing that next step of life, that next moment of oppertunity that will launch us into our destiny.

Greg Roberts said...

Scott lovd this post. I relaized just yesterday that FGBC has such a good thing going, so much so it will break my heart to leave. But it's in embracing that next step of life, that next moment of oppertunity that will launch us into our destiny.

doxasky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
doxasky said...

We are family here and I am truly thankful for all that this community has poured into my life. I am excited to see where each of us goes from here. Thanks for the post Scott.